Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Chicken Spaghetti - Tales of Cooking Whole Chickens

First off! I am so sorry I didn't post this last night! Hubby stayed home to help me with the kids while my head continued to pound and I lost track of the day.

When it comes to saving money the easiest way to do that is to find the cheapest products. Right, duh! So when you think of chicken I'm sure most people think of buying boneless skinless chicken breasts but thats actually the most expensive way to purchase chicken. Although it is the easiest and no cleaning involved. I prefer to buy whole chickens, cook them, then freeze the meat. I have MULTIPLE recipes that call for pre-cooked chicken so it is really the easiest way to do this. Bi-lo or Publix regularly has whole fryer chickens on sale for .79 a lb or less! Thats a whole lot of savings!! Especially when you really have to wait once a month for BLSL chicken breasts to go on sale for $1.99 a lb.

So back to the point...

I purchased 4 whole fryer chickens and got to work cooking. 2 I did on the stove in a pot with onions, garlic and a little salt and pepper in a stock pot. The other two I did in the oven with lemon pepper. None of these methods really flavor your chicken but the stove top method was super moist!

Now after cooking I have over 5lbs of meat ready to freeze and use later. Some of this I set aside for my chicken spaghetti. Now for the extra steps...

To save even more money I decided to use the "entire" chicken. Yes, the whole thing! I saved the bones and made chicken stock then I used the insides and neck to make a brown chicken stock! Don't be scared!! These were both VERY simple and not much work.

Chicken Stock

Take out a stock pot and throw in all the bones. Add carrots, onions, garlic and celery. I didn't have carrots on hand but really you can throw anything in this pot. Its really to just flavor the stock. Fill the pot with water to completely cover the bones and set on medium high until it boils then reduce the heat to a simmer and cover for 3 to 4 hours. Once you've let it simmer away for hours strain the liquid and refrigerate!

Brown Chicken Stock

This is something you need to start after you have made the stock because you will use 2 cups of the stock in this recipe.

Take your gizzards, heart and liver pieces along with the next and brown in a little oil and butter. Once brown add 2 cups of chicken stock, a few bay leaves,thyme, salt and pepper then set on medium until it starts to boil then partially cover and turn down the heat to low and let it simmer for 2 to 3 hours. Once its done strain your liquid and refrigerate.

Simple!

Ok I know its time consuming but for the most part its just simmering away on its own with no work from you and your kitchen will smell YUMMY!

Now for DINNER!

Chicken Spaghetti

Ingredients

Spaghetti noodles
2 cans cream of chicken
8 oz shredded cheese
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups precooked chicken
salt and pepper

Cook your spaghetti noodles according to the package. In a bowl combine chicken, soup, cheese, chopped onion, salt and pepper then add spaghetti noodles and mix together. Place in a baking dish sprinkle more cheese on the top and cook for 45 minutes on 350.

To add something extra chop up some green and red bell pepper! ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment